25 July 2012:
EGMO 2012: Information: Cambridge and Murray Edwards College
In the East of England, and situated 50 miles to the north of London, Cambridge has been described as “one of England’s most cherished historic cities”. The city itself is a mixture of the new and the old, and is home to one of the oldest universities in the world. The first college to be founded in Cambridge was Peterhouse, founded in 1284, and over the next few hundred years many more colleges were established. Now all these colleges together make up the University.
One of the outstanding sights in the town is the gothic chapel of King’s College, which was started by King Henry VI in 1446 and took over 100 years to build. Another of the well-known sights to visit is the “Bridge of Sighs” and many of the colleges are also open to visitors during the day.
With many things to see and do in the city, one of the most popular activities for visitors to the town, and an idyllic way to see the city, is to drift down the River Cam on a punt—a flat-bottomed boat which is steered and powered by a pole. After time on the river, there are lots of green spaces to enjoy in the town, including the University Botanic Gardens—forty acres of grounds and glasshouses. Cambridge is an ideal city to get around on foot or by bicycle, and it is easy to hire bicycles for the day.
The weather in Cambridge during April is usually in the range of 10°C–14°C, and evenings will be quite cool. Although England is famed for its rain, over the past few years Cambridge has enjoyed very low rainfall during April when EGMO took place, but unfortunately sunshine has also not been in evidence very much during the month.
Murray Edwards College
Murray Edwards College was the base for EGMO 2012. It was originally founded as New Hall in 1954. New Hall was founded as a college for women, and the student body of Murray Edwards continues to be exclusively women.
In 2008 the college was renamed Murray Edwards, after the first President Dr Rosemary Murray and the Edwards family who made a very generous donation which forms the college’s foundation endowment.
The college moved to its current location, on an ancient Roman site near Castle Hill, in 1964 and is just a short walk from central Cambridge.